We remain open to provide care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
We offer an extensive consultation for certain behavioural difficulties. Time with our Registered Veterinary Technicians that have a special interest in Behaviour issues can help to uncover the individual “quirks” and personality traits of your particular pet. Some pets develop unwanted or troublesome behaviours, such as house soiling, unwanted barking, digging, spraying, stress/anxiety, dominance, or aggression.
The goal of our assistance is to help make your pet as trustworthy as possible. Although these conditions may be behavioural, we may first have to rule out any potential underlying medical problems. A physical examination, diagnostic testing such as blood work, urinalysis, and discussion can help identify the cause of the problem as well as possible solutions. We may also suggest referral to a specialist when necessary.
We can help get you started on a good foundation early in your pet’s life. Our puppy and kitten first visit examinations include a 30-minute consultation to address issues.
How can behavioural counseling help my dog’s behaviour?
Counselling can help your dog’s behaviour because if your dog is anxious or scared, training can help alleviate, and in some cases, eliminate these fears and therefore allows your pet to live a happy and emotionally healthy life. Just like humans, it is just as important with dogs. Having behavioural issues dealt with can help strengthen the bond between you and your pet, creating more trust between the two of you. Counselling helps to solve any issues or concerns you might have.
What happens at the initial dog counseling meeting?
If you are having a behavioural issue with your dog, we encourage you to email us (or call) to discuss what the next step would be. Once we have all the particulars of your specific concerns, we can then book a consultation with our Behaviour Technician. She will be able to map out a training plan for what will suit you and your pet while also providing the best results. Follow up meetings will be scheduled as your training progresses so that we can address any concerns that you may have.
Will my pet insurance policy cover the cost of dog behaviour counseling?
Many insurance policies offer coverage for training costs. Please check with your insurance company to see what your plan includes.
What can I expect after the consultation?
Follow-up calls and to ensure things are going well. We will also book progress check appointments as needed to track your pet’s progress.
We are all aware of the concerns and rapidly changing situation with COVID-19. Due to the close public contact that our work requires, we have taken necessary measures to protect our clients, our staff and work hard to ensure we can continue to provide excellent care for our patients.
The following changes are effective as of Wednesday, March 18, 2020:
1. If you have travelled outside Canada or come in contact with anyone who has travelled outside Canada in the past 3 weeks, or if you are feeling unwell, (coughing, fever, fatigue, etc.), please contact our clinic. We will be more than happy to reschedule your appointment or help arrange to see your pet safely.
2. We are currently operating a "closed-door" policy to protect our clients and staff. When you arrive, please remain in your vehicle and use your cell phone to call us at 905-285-0002. We will take a history by phone, and bring your pet into the clinic for an examination with the veterinarian. We will then return to your vehicle with your pet and you will get another call from the Doctor to discuss our recommended treatment plan.
3. We are continuing to accept appointments for urgent or sick pets, as well as time-sensitive puppy/kitten vaccinations. All other services will be scheduled for a later time.
4. We are still OPEN with the following hours: Monday to Friday 10:00 am - 6:00 pm & Saturday from 8:00 am - 1:00 pm.
5. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 4-6 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the clinic. Our staff will bring your order to your car and take payment from your vehicle.
6. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
7. Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our jobs. We have taken these measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this virus.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid, and any updates will be provided as changes occur.
Your dedicated team at Westbridge Veterinary Hospital